According to DialaPhone.co.uk Alienware, Google and Dell are about to announce a new mobile phone running the Android operating system. The announcement is expected to take place at the 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona.
Dell has tried to get into the phone market before but don’t seem to have the brand image for cool-looking cell phones so hitching a ride with recent acquisition, Alienware, just might change their fortunes.
The arguments that seem to support these rumours include:
- Dell’s earlier attempt to enter the sector
- Apple, HP, Asus already have mobile divisions
- Dell has poached Motorola executive Ron Garriques to run their ‘Global consumer’ group
- Alienware would provide a striking design solution for the product
- Dell and Google have already been the subject of rumours about a ‘surprise’ announcement at the 3GSM World Mobile Congress
Dell’s Strategy Analytics Director Neil Mawson suggested:
“It makes sense for Dell to have a high-profile entry back into the market because its last effort with PDAs pretty much flopped.”
At CES this year Alienware created a stir with their 48 inch curved monitor which dominated gadget blogs for most of the week. It looks like they may be just about to do the same at 3GSM.